Sunday, November 20, 2011

Buenos Aires

I'm here on business and had Sunday to explore the city. After visiting a local LDS church, I walked over to the Recoleta district. This area has been quite affluent for over 100 years. Wealthy families are buried in the Recoleta cemetery.



As you enter the cemetery, you quickly see that it is almost like a small European city in miniature.




There are blocks of narrow walkways with above ground mausoleums and statues.




I decided to just wander around. Angels watching over the tombs seemed to be a common theme.









Of course, there were other sculptures like this very tired lion,




this Madonna and child,




and this angel very serious looking angel.


I had to really look around to find Eva (Evita) Peron's final resting place.



Then I made my way back to the entrance




And into the Recoleta neighborhood.




You can see why people call Buenos Aires the Paris of South America.



- Posted from my iPad

No comments: